The Journal welcomes contributions from anyone involved with the crafts of weaving, spinning and dyeing.
It aims to provide:
Authors of feature articles/Readers’ Showcase can include a short (50 word) biography plus website/social media links at the end of the article.
Please note that we do not pay for articles or images, but we do provide authors and those contributing images with a complimentary digital or print copy of the relevant issue and additional copies can be requested at a reduced rate.
Please make initial contact using the Contact Us form here.
Articles can be submitted at any time although The Journal cannot guarantee to publish any article submitted, or to publish an accepted article in a particular issue of The Journal. Only previously unpublished work can be accepted. The Journal reserves the right to use images on the cover or on the Association of Guilds of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers website. Promotional material cannot be accepted.
Note that we will edit text for Journal style, check details etc. and agree any changes with the author. We aim to adopt a ‘light touch’ editing style so that the author’s voice is retained, but we do need to ensure that text is clear and easy to follow.
The publishing process:
● Initial contact via the contact form. Your query will be referred to the relevant editor who will get in touch with you.
● Submissions in Word .doc (.docx) format sent to the relevant editor
● Clear images (min 2Mb, 300 dpi) sent separately as .jpgs or .tiffs – please do not paste images into the article (use We Transfer or Dropbox to transfer images if they exceed email limitations)
● Please insert image numbers between [brackets] at relevant points in the text and list image captions at the end of the document.
● Include relevant permissions granted on images/diagrams/drawings.
● Clear drawings and/or diagrams.
● Each photo to include caption, photo credit (photographer / artist)
● Highest quality setting on photographs.
● Order of photographs (where relevant)
● List of captions
● Ensure you have permission to take images, eg. from a gallery for exhibition reviews.
● Original content – the author
● Layout and edited content – The Journal.
Bibliography/List of Suppliers
● Please insert numbers between [brackets] and list your references at the end of the text.
Editorial support will be given where required. Please note that contributions will be edited for Journal house style and the editor may discuss further edits and check information sources.
A signed Author Agreement is required from contributors prior to publishing, this will be arranged by the relevant editor.